Minutes of the A.G.M. of the Pembroke College
Winnie The Pooh Society held in S15 at 4pm on Saturday 7th February 1998
Present: Brian, Ben, Rob, Tony, Alison, Stephen, Michael
- After much playing Connect 4, the meeting is finally opened by Ben
at 4:15pm. We are impressed with the Pooh stamp that arrived at the meeting
and made its mark on every available piece of paper.
- Vote to censure the normal membership (Granny, Vicky the treasurer,...)
for failing to turn up F3 A1 A1.
- Vote to allow Michael to vote F2 A3 A1.
- Someone suggests a vote to confiscate the Connect 4 game, which is
disrupting the meeting, but the game is put away and the vote is cancelled.
- Michael bribes Ben with 2p and in this way becomes a member of the
- We all sing Cottleston Pie, as is traditional at the A.G.M., except
for Rob who plays the flute.
- People complain that the A.G.M. has been badly organised this year.
In fact, we vote that this is the worst organised A.G.M. in recent history.
- Ben goes off to the computer room in search of minutes, but this
only adds to the confusion. Meanwhile, the secretary takes the chair.
- Which reading should we have? We decide on In which Eeyore
has a birthday and gets two presents.
- Vote to censure Anthony for being unusually rude during the reading
F3 A2 A2.
- Granny arrives ridiculously late. His pathetic excuse is that hes
been Racheld. Vote to censure Rachel for keeping Granny occupied
when he should have been at the A.G.M. F4 A0 A2.
- There is a discussion of strange people in Selwyn Gardens.
It is still possible to bump into a stranger on the stairs and then find
that he actually lives there.
- Granny cuts his cake into 9 pieces. There is plenty of other food
too, including battenburg and the usual Jaffa Cakes. We even have a teapot
but it turns out to be rather too small and not really a teapot at all.
- Musical equipment is provided, and we listen to a Blue Danube Radio
- Vote to thank the president for representing us in the international
media F5 A0 A2.
- Vote that Pooh should come home ie. should return from America to
England F6 A0 A1.
- Vote to rusticate Anthony F2 A2 A3. The obvious visitor is
Brian, and he says yes to rustication. Admittedly Anthony has been particularly
silly and anti-Pooh during this meeting. Any more of this next week and
Anthony could be in serious trouble.
- Battenburg is devoured and we make more tea.
- There is a Jesus contingent report read out. Its not very long but
its more than we have from our other chapters.
- Rob reads the minutes but hes in a rush so he reads them too quickly
for us to understand.
- Dave Henderson appears several times in the minutes of last week's
meeting. He shall, however, only appear once in these minutes.
- At last Rob leaves. Now we can start on the serious business.
- It is said that Disney go for quantity not quality. Not unlike Jehovahs
- Vote to censure Granny for making references to Emily F1 A6
A0. Sorry Ben.
- There follows a lengthy discussion of the Disney corruption of Pooh
characters. They have even introduced completely new characters, which
we feel is most disturbing. This leads on to the concept of fronts, large
fronts in particular.
- We hear that Sheila (spit) are organising a cross-dressing formal
hall and other bizarre activities.
- PoohSoc believes that the results of Disney are atrocious but would
like to commend them for bringing Pooh to the attention of the masses.
Oh yes, and the Tiggers are rather nice. Vote: F7 A0 A1.
- Ben gets out some more correspondence. It appears that we have made
a GAC allocation claim of £5. This is a somewhat smaller claim then
certain other less important societies have made. Ben also brings out the
P.B.A.M. - cheaper than seventeen grand - campaign posters. Pooh Awareness
week is scheduled to start in two weeks time. We also see a Smarties letter,
which it is explained that Piglet is particularly fond of orange smarties.
Some people are not too keen on the idea of this letter, so there is
a vote to disallow the representation of PoohSoc in the letter: F4 A1 A2.
All those references to PoohSoc will have to be removed, Ben.
- The elections begin and there is much excitement. Rob and Tony are
nominated for all posts of the committee. Jenny is nominated for Treasurer,
Alison and Anthony are nominated for Foreign Sec, Alison is nominated for
UnderSecretary, Granny is nominated for secretary, while Ben is of course
nominated for President.
- Firstly there are hustings for the post of Treasurer. There is little
to discuss and Jenny is soon elected as Treasurer.
- Next we have to consider the post of Foreign Secretary. After endless
ranting and indecision, we finally decide to elect Tony as our Foreign
- Alison is elected to the post of UnderSecretary.
- Ben husts for Granny, because it seemed to work last time. Sure
enough, Granny is elected to the post of Secretary.
- Rob husts for the post of President, but is unable to compete with
Ben, who is quite clearly the best president the Society has had in recent
history. Ben is duly elected to the post of President.
- To keep Rob happy we decide to create a new post. Not a committee
post, of course. Several suggestions are made but we decide on Minister
without Female Development, a position that is clearly not available to
Rachel Dixon. The duties of the Minister without Female Development are
to promote anti-sexism within PoohSoc, and to promote greater female activity.
Vote to create the post: F5 A1 A1.
- Rob is nominated for the above post. Vote to elect Rob to the post
of Minister without Female Development F6 A1 A0.
- Vote to have a trial next week F3 A2 A2. It is not clear exactly
who will be on trial, but I'm sure well be able to find someone...
- Vote to allow Michael to become Tigger F1 A3 A3. Motion is
defeated, but then he is hardly a regular attender. The meeting dissolves
into a game of Connect 4.
- Vote to close this bloody meeting, it being somewhat past 6pm by
now F3 A4 A0. Ben is worried by this and organises an emergency committee
meeting in order to close the A.G.M. The committee is unable to make a
decision, but Brian makes it for them and the meeting is closed.
Return To Lent 1998
©The Pembroke College Winnie-The-Pooh Society 1998.
Disclaimer: The views given on this page are those of the Pembroke College Winnie-The-Pooh Society and do not necessarily correspond to those of Pembroke College